Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Springtime in New York

Last weekend was a good one - I spent it in the Big Apple. It's our 3rd anniversary and we wanted to do something better than losing Eric's wedding ring and getting sunburned in the Bahamas! What a great choice! The weather was perfect (in the 60's and sunny) and we got a lot of exercise walking around the city. I got a good workout in and a body massage on Friday while Eric was working. And even got some reading done (Dean Koontz, Midnight). It was a relaxing weekend.

Here's all the tourist-y stuff we did:

  • went to the top of the Empire State Building
  • walked through Macy's on Herald Square
  • took a bicycle cab from 34th to 55th
  • had a burger and milkshake at Burger Heaven (and yes, it was a heavenly burger)
  • visited the World Trade Center site
  • walked through Battery Park and Wall Street
  • drank hot chocolate at Jacques Torres' Chocolate Haven (yummy recommendation from Kelly)
  • ate a lobster dinner (stuffed ourselves!)
  • walked through Times Square (with a zillion other people)
  • took a horse carriage ride through Central Park at night

During the carriage ride, we tried to figure out how much you'd have to make to live in a penthouse in one of the buildings surrounding the park. I can't imagine what it's like to live overlooking the city. But I'd certainly like to try sometime! :-)

Some of the other things I'd like to do the next time is take a cruise around the island, go to a couple museums (Guggenheim, Modern Art), and visit the Statue of Liberty. The last (and first) time I was at the Statue, I was 13. There are pictures in my parents' albums of my dad, my brother and me standing on the platform. And man, do I look like a 13 year old - braces and everything - Yikes!

I would recommend a weekend in Manhattan to anyone. There's plenty to do - museums, shows, restaurants, ice skating (Rockefeller plaza or Central Park), tours, etc. And contrary to stories you may have heard, New Yorkers are not all rude - there are a few with manners...

No comments: